I’ve clearly been on a lentil kick and this is my second lentil comfort-food recipe in a row. I’ve made vegetarian sloppy joes in the past, but previously used seitan. This version uses a natural protein and the bonus is this is super easy to make!
Lentil Sloppy Joes
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 28oz can crushed san marzano tomatoes
- 1 Cup green lentils
- 2 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- 2 TBSP red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp ground mustard
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Sandwich rolls
- Heat a pot of water to boiling. Add green lentils and cook about 40 minutes or as directed on the package.
- In a dutch oven, heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil on medium heat. Finely mince the garlic and dice the onion. Add to the dutch oven and sauté about 4 minutes. Add red wine vinegar, worcestershire, cayenne, chili powder, thyme and mustard and stir. Add crushed tomatoes, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer.
- Drain the lentils. Add the lentils to the sauce and stir. Cover and simmer on low heat about 25 minutes.
- Serve on sandwich rolls or hamburger buns.
- Check the ingredients on your Worcestershire sauce. Most have tiny amounts of anchovy paste in it so good to know if you are a strict vegetarian or vegan.